Friday, September 12, 2008

How Can You Spot the Gefilte Fish in the Ocean?

He's the one with the carrot stuck to him...

If you have never had gefilte fish let me give you a few words of wisdom.
  • Don't eat the kind in the jar with the "gel". It is not worth the effort to open the jar.
  • Do eat it like any other kind of fish. Because that's what it is, fish. So use your lemon juice, tartar sauce or even cocktail sauce.
  • If you're not Jewish chances are you won't like gefilte fish. I think it is in our DNA that we automatically like it.
There is a platter I made for my Shabbos gefilte fish, and it always makes me smile.

The idea comes from the wonderfully fun book Judaikitsch: Tchotchkes, Schmattes and Nosherei, and was done at one of those paint your own pottery places. Totally fun!

Of course the lettering is a goof on the Latin name for the gefilte fish, but something about the paos and kippah crack me up. I'm easily amused.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Shabbos!

This week's parsha is Ki Setze.

No comments: