Thursday, August 21, 2008

Applesauce

Due to a combination of not having much spare time, nor the inclination I've not been creating anything for about two weeks. So cooking in preparation for Shabbos was about as close as I've come to being creative.

My Dad loves applesauce. There can be 20 different things on the Shabbos table, but one of those better be my homemade applesauce or the meal will not be complete for him.

In my effort to keep it from becoming boring I've got about three to four recipe versions of applesauce to rotate through. Some with raisins, some with cranberry, some with nuts, some with pears.

This weeks recipe is made from 5 Granny Smith apples, 1/4 cup turbinado sugar, dash of fresh nutmeg, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 cup of plump raisins and about 2 T. of water. Cook in a sauce pan till apples are just starting to get soft. We like ours chunky. ~: )

Now people who come here for a meal know there will be some form of applesauce on our table. The kids always love it, and it is sometimes the only thing the picky eaters will have.

This week's parsha is Eikev.

No comments: